On Page SEO Checklist
As most savvy business leaders undoubtedly know, search engine optimization – usually shortened to SEO – should be a major focus if you intend to maximize your online presence in today’s competitive marketplace. SEO is the practice of designing an online presence to meet the unique needs of search engines, so that those search engines place your website among top search results where people can find it. In order for people to know about the products and services you provide, you need to make sure that your website is easy to access, and the higher you rank for various search results, the easier it is going to be for your potential customers to find you.
However, it’s also worth noting that there are several types of search engine optimization, or SEO, and that each one helps you achieve these goals in specific ways.
For example, the first type is called on-page SEO, which refers to all SEO campaigns that take place on the actual pages of your website. The second is called off-page SEO, which refers to all SEO tactics that take place off your website, such as in social media content and content marketing. Finally, a third category is called technical SEO, which is the practice of making your website easier for search engine crawlers to identify and index.
While each type of SEO has its own strengths and benefits, they also support one another and work together to create larger benefits for your business. In addition, there are multiple ways of achieving each type that will save you time, energy, and funds. For example, focusing on on-page SEO checklists alone might not be enough to get your website to a higher results ranking, but taking advantage of on-page SEO tools will achieve better results. Then, when you combine this with a technical SEO checklist, you will place yourself and your website in the best position possible to be successful.
On Page SEO Checklist PDF
When you are looking for on-page SEO steps, it can be helpful to refer to an SEO checklist PDF. Using an on-page SEO checklist PDF will help you make sure that you are not forgetting anything. Some of the items that you may want to check get included on such a checklist are:
- Performing keyword research. You need to identify the top keywords that are relevant to your industry, including those that are relevant to your content’s themes and those that are searched regularly by your target market, as well as keywords you can actually rank for, given the competitive power of your current website.
- Focusing on a primary keyword for your content. Assign each such keyword to a specific page of content. You should also consider using an editorial calendar and assigning a target keyword for each individual page.
- Ensuring that the primary keyword hasn’t already been assigned to another piece of content (which, if it is, could lead to what is called keyword “cannibalization”). If you duplicate keywords in this way, search engines do not know which page is more important and thus may not rank either page. You can use a duplicate content checker to identify these kinds of problems.
These are a few of the first steps you should take in order to make sure that you are producing quality content.
Off Page SEO Checklist
Next, you need to move to an off-page SEO checklist. Off-page SEO is just as important as SEO that takes place on the page. (Or, if you’re still wondering, “what is on-page SEO and off-page SEO,” keep in mind that off-page SEO refers to actions that you take away from your individual website.) Luckily, there are numerous off-page SEO techniques that you can set up and employ using off-page SEO tools. In addition, if you address off-page SEO factors following an off-page SEO tutorial, then you will be able to address both on-page and off-page SEO issues.
Anything that takes place beyond your website falls under the category of off-page SEO. This may include influencer marketing, mentions, social media marketing, guest blogging, and other tasks, which are all meant to increase brand awareness of your website. If you want to drive organic traffic to your website, then you need effective SEO practices. Given how changeable the internet is, there are not many clear-cut strategies that can help you focus your off-page campaign; however, if you take advantage of the right tools, you will place your website in the best position possible.
If you are starting with social media, for example, figure out what platforms your target market prefers and uses most often. Some of the most popular platforms include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. If you are able to develop a strong profile on the platforms your target market uses, then you can instantly increase your online visibility with them.
On Page SEO Checklist for Blog
If your website has a blog that streamlines your content marketing strategy, this is a good place to start. If you are looking for an SEO checklist for blog posts, there are a few elements that you should make sure to address, which include:
- Choose a few keywords for your content. Target related keywords that are semantically related to your primary keyword. Perform keyword research to figure out which keywords are most important for your industry and specific subfield.
- Then create a content or content marketing plan for your keyword. How are you going to use that primary keyword? Are you going to use it in a timely blog post? Do you want to incorporate it on a landing page? Whatever you decide, you will need this content to support your marketing funnel.
- Finally, match the content of the search intent to that of individual keywords. You should be creating content that provides exactly what your user was looking for when they entered that specific search.
You should also keep an eye on the content that has already been produced in your industry, particularly by direct competitors. If you are creating content, then you want to try to create content that is better than existing material your prospective customers might have seen already. Otherwise, you are going to have a hard time ranking well for those specific keywords.
SEO Checklist Template
No matter what type or types of content you are creating, it is helpful to use an SEO checklist template. Following an on-page SEO template Excel can help you make sure you are not missing anything. Use an SEO checklist template Excel as you go. Some of the elements to consider including are:
- Make sure that titles include your primary keyword. You need to let search engines know exactly what the post is about right off the bat.
- Make sure you wrap up the title in an H1 tag, or a piece of HTML code that lets search engines know that this content is a title.
- Longer content is usually better. Keep in mind that your visitors do not want to read a wall of text; however, it should be 750 words at a minimum, because otherwise, search engines are not going to rank it well. We recommend that much of your SEO content, especially Demand Pages should be at least 1,500 words. It might sound crazy, but it works.
- Finally, make sure the content is original. If the content is duplicated in any way, then it will not rank well, and search engines will actually penalize you for this.
If you keep these tips in mind, then you will produce content that ranks well. Make sure you use this checklist for every piece of content you produce, so that you also have a consistent strategy to follow for replicable success.
On Page SEO Factors
It is critical for you to keep an eye on the on-page SEO factors as you go. Remember that you should be thinking about how much you use your focus keyword. In the past, keyword stuffing could help websites rank well because search engines would only “see” how many times a keyword was used – but now, this is no longer the case. If you simply stuff your content with the same keyword over and over again, search engines are going to penalize you for this artificial use.
Given these new realities, try to aim for a keyword density somewhere between 2% and 3%. Also, try to space that keyword throughout the copy, which will make it easier for search engines to recognize. As a practical example of this: try to include your selected keyword approximately two to three times within every 100 words. If you go over this limit, then you are going to run into keyword stuffing issues.
In addition, think about using related keywords and keyword variations throughout your content as well. If you have a hard time keeping track of this, then you may want to take advantage of SEO tools. For example, DemandWell offers the tools, methods, and expertise to take care of this for you automatically. That way, you can focus on writing your content as your SEO tools track keyword performance.
On-Page SEO Techniques
If you want to make the most of your SEO strategy, then it is often helpful to follow a few simple on-page SEO techniques. For example, you should be using your related keywords as H2 tags. This is HTML code that will help you construct a framework for search engines, which will then have an easier time indexing how the various pieces of your content work together. So, make sure that you are wrapping your subheadings in an H2 tag.
You should also pick your anchor text carefully and make sure that your website is easy to navigate. Internal links are just one way of making it easier for people to navigate your website. Furthermore, search engines will be able to tell that you are trying to make the internal structure of your website easier. If you are able to help search engines connect and understand your online content, then it will rank higher among search results.
These are just a few of the many factors that you should be keeping in mind if you are trying to improve your SEO strategy. Make sure you develop a checklist that includes not only on-page SEO tactics but also off-page SEO tactics as well. By taking both into account, you are helping your website to rank more highly in search engines’ search results.